NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The "nuclear option," or the somewhat last report taken by the European Union and International Monetary Fund to stabilize the euro and the eurozone, opens the possibility of opportunity in certain equities.
- CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE), which closed at $127.51 on Monday.
- SPDR Euro STOXX 50 (FEZ), which allocates nearly 19% of its asset base to the PIIGS (Portugal, Italy, Ireland, Greece and Spain). FEZ closed at $35.10 on Monday gaining more than 10% over the day.
- iShares MSCI EMU (EZU), which allocates nearly 15.4% of its assets to the PIIGS. EZU gained nearly 10% on Monday closing at $32.52.
- SPDR Barclays Capital International Treasury Bond (BWZ), which allocates 11.8% of its asset base to Italy, 3.5% to Span and 2.2% to Greece. BWZ closed at $34.19 on Monday, adding nearly 1.6%.
Although this nearly $1 trillion emergency financial package which includes standby funds and loan guarantees seems like a good resolution, it will only be effective and sustainable if Europe's weakest economies can manage their debt and the European Union can develop more coherent economic and fiscal policies to underpin the euro.
Because of the volatility of the region, it's important to have an exit strategy which identifies specific price points at which an upward trend could come to an end in the exchange-traded funds mentioned.
According to the latest data at SmartStops.net, an upward trend could come to an end at the following price points: FXE at $126.78; FEZ at $33.56; EZU at $31.05; BWZ at $32.86.Written by Kevin Grewal in Laguna Niguel, Calif. At the time of publication, Grewal had no position in the securities mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV