NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Wave Systems (WAVX) was one of several stocks trading near $5 poised to move on above-average volume Tuesday after the hardware-based digital-security company reported quarterly results.
Wave Systems said late Monday that it had a first-quarter net loss of a penny a share, compared to a year-ago loss of 2 cents a share. Revenue jumped 45% from a year ago to $5.86 million. Separately, the company said it has acquired two patents related to security subsystems for storage devices for $1.1 million in cash.
Wave Systems shares finished Monday at $3.42 and were up nearly 3% in the after-market session. The 50-day average daily share volume for Wave Systems is 842,000, according to the Nasdaq.
NexMed (NEXM) shares were indicted higher after the company announced "encouraging" data from a pre-clinical study examining the subcutaneous delivery of rituximab, a therapeutic antibody that interferes with the development of cancer cells.Using its proprietary NexACT drug delivery technology, NexMed said that animals receiving subcutaneous injections of rituximab in the study demonstrated a 46% enhancement in bioavailability over rituximab alone, which the company argues may open the door to improving the delivery of other therapeutic antibodies. NexMed shares closed Monday at 40 cents and rose more than 10% in late trading. The 50-day average daily volume for NexMed is 3.9 million.
More on Biotech
| 13 Biotech Stocks with New Data
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV