What you don't get: The aspirin you'll need to keep all this Web-business-app nonsense straight.
Clearly, Google has made it easy for third parties to interop with its software and your business. But the fact is, it is almost too easy. Yes, tools like Manymoon are cool. But the complexity this stuff introduces is mind boggling: Manymoon faces direct competition from other sophisticated project-management products with names like Smartsheet, Teambox, Insightly, Comindwork, Jira, Glasscubes, Zoho Projects, TrackMyHours and EmForge. And that's just project management! There are 80-odd more apps aimed at how to do your books, how to file your taxes, how to hire and fire. You get the idea.
Even the smallest of firms will be facing an overwhelmingly -- and I mean overwhelmingly -- complex trial-and-error process of testing, deploying and migrating to these tools.
Bottom line: For sure, the Google App Marketplace is the real small-business deal: It's a miraculous rainforest of exotic Web-based business tools that even six months ago were beyond the reach of most small firms. Be sure to give the place the once-over.Just don't fall in love with the wild animals. As lovely as they seem, none are as tame as they appear. If you're not careful, they could eat you -- and your firm -- alive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV