SEC Must Look Beyond NYSE, Nasdaq for Cause of Market Crash: Today's Outrage
Adds SEC statement on meeting with exchange leaders about Thursday's stock market crash.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Mary Schapiro is looking in all the wrong places for answers to last week's historic market plunge.
Four days after the collapse, Schapiro met today with NYSE Euronext (NYX) CEO Duncan Niederauer, Nasdaq OMX (NDAQ) CEO Robert Greifeld and leaders of other exchanges. What a waste of time, judging by the SEC's post-meeting press release, which said only that "as a first step, the parties agreed on a structural framework, to be refined over the next day, for strengthening circuit breakers and handling erroneous trades."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV