Labor Dispute Afflicts Chile's Collahuasi Mine
SANTIAGO, Chile (AP) â¿¿ Contract workers at the private Collahuasi copper mine in northern Chile say they have paralyzed operations to demand better compensation and work rules.
The mine is owned by London-based miner Anglo American PLC and Japanese investment house Mitsui & Co. Mine representatives were not available to describe the impact on production.
Contract workers number about 4,400 and account for three out of four jobs at Collahuasi. The mine produced 535,000 metric tons of copper last year.
Chilean Mining Labor Federation President Pedro Marin said Sunday the mine is running on emergency shifts and that all accesses have been blocked by contractors.Mine manager Juan Carlos Palma said the company is open to discussions.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV