"The indications I'm getting are that they are leaning towards a new airplane, not a re-engineer," said consultant Scott Hamilton, founder of Leeham Co., which publishes an online newsletter about aircraft manufacturers. The most recent edition quotes a report by Buckingham Research analyst Richard Safran, who wrote that Boeing is likely to drop its widely assumed plan to re-engine the 737 in favor of developing a new airplane. "Current thinking (by Boeing) could be leaning towards a new airplane," Safran wrote.
Boeing has said repeatedly that it may re-engine the 737, in concert with the development of new products from engine manufacturers. But it is not dismissing the suggestion that it could develop a new aircraft altogether.
"We will evaluate engine technologies in the context of what brings real value and performance expectations to our customers," said Boeing spokesman Jim Prouix. "Reducing fuel consumption and emissions and lowering community noise are key drivers as we consider the possibility of a next-generation 737 re-engine opportunity, or provide an alternative. We expect to make a decision by the end of this year."Though it is firmly entrenched as one of just two companies in the world that makes large jets, Boeing has recently been prone to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV