NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The markets have stabilized somewhat after Thursday afternoon's bloodbath on the Dow, but the cause behind it is still a big question mark for many people -- a trading software glitch is one suspected cause -- and resulting in some lingering uncertainties.
Amid all this, consumer staple and discretionary stocks -- including Procter & Gamble (PG) -- continue to be keepers. P&G was one of the biggest decliners on the Dow Thursday, falling 4%, then suddenly plummeting 20%, before paring losses.
Indeed, while recommending various consumer goods stocks to invest in, Hilliard Lyons portfolio manager Brian Campbell admits, "I don't watch them everyday." Instead, he suggests a longer-term horizon for these stocks. Read on to see which consumer goods stock are stable enough to weather even the fiercest of market storms.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV