FPL Simulates Planning And Response To Virtual Hurricane Ari In Preparation For 2010 Storm Season
To make the simulation as real as possible, FPL generated damage estimates for the fictional scenario. These estimates were based on scientific models built from decades of storm data and included other potential real-life factors such as post-storm weather, gas supplies and school-opening goals to test the ability of the team to remain flexible but focused on the ultimate mission: restoring power to customers safely and as quickly as possible.
FPL works year-round to prepare for hurricane season, conducting extensive training so its employees can respond safely and as quickly as possible if a storm threatens its service territory. FPL also coordinates assistance agreements with other utilities for out-of-state support, orders restoration supplies and equipment and secures staging sites throughout its 35-county service territory. These preparations enable the company to quickly deploy equipment and crews to storm-damaged communities.
In addition, FPL works closely with emergency operations officials to update lists of infrastructure and facilities that are critical to the community, such as hospitals, police and fire stations, 911 communication facilities, water treatment plants and transportation providers.In fact, FPL has strengthened the power lines serving every major hospital and acute care facility in its service territory to better withstand Florida’s strong winds and severe weather. And last year, FPL invested more than $80 million to strengthen the infrastructure serving these critical facilities. Prior to storm season, the company strengthened its infrastructure by:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV