Net Neutrality: A Tax on the Internet
In either case, new costs to the consumer would be substantial. Net neutrality could impose anywhere from $10 to as much as $55 each month -- on top of an average broadband access charge of $30. If consumers were unwilling or unable to incur such costs, net neutrality could, ironically, reduce broadband penetration.
Net neutrality acts like a tax on the Internet. It imposes overheads on network operators that in turn will decrease investment and provide less opportunity, not only for the operators, but for an economy that has been built to depend on those networks.
Evidence in the Stratecast study supports the notion that net neutrality is much more complex than simply encouraging a level playing field. If regulations must be adopted, a narrow interpretation imposing the lightest load on operators would minimize the financial impact on both consumers and the U.S. economy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV