NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- In one of the more remarkable days in recent memory on Wall Street, stocks broke down Thursday afternoon, with the Dow rapidly losing nearly 1,000 points before recovering to close down about 350 points. The wild move, being blamed on a trading error, punished a market already wounded from a European debt overload.
Observers will continue to dissect what happened during Thursday's history-making selloff into the morning and beyond, but they'll also monitor other market-moving items before Friday's opening bell:
"If we get good news on those three things ... I think this reversal we saw in the last half hour or so might continue at the open," said Phil Orlando, chief equity market strategist at Federated Investors. "We got oversold, stupidly oversold at one point. But even before
But as quickly as that massive plunge happened around 2:40 p.m. EDT on Thursday, stocks rebounded and recovered off their worst levels. CNBC began speculating that some sort of computer system or human error may have been at the root of the steepest drops. The New York Stock Exchange reported that it saw no error from itsr vantage point.Rumors also centered on possible erroneous trades for
Stock Market Losers
|Biggest Declining Stocks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV