NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- "We need a new playbook to deal with this roller coaster of a market," Jim Cramer told the viewers of his "Mad Money" TV show Wednesday.
He said investors can't afford to get caught up in the day-to-day gyrations of markets, they need to stick with stocks with great long-term secular growth stories.According to Cramer, the markets have just gotten too hard for anyone other than the nimblest of day traders to tackle on a daily basis. He said that his viewers need to stick with stocks that are working, and that means stocks that are uniquely domestic, have strong growth, or do well when the rest of the market panics. For example, Cramer said the generic drug makers, stocks like Teva Pharmaceuticals (TEVA), a stock which he owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, will do well in this market since governments are still trying to save on health care costs. Then there are also stocks like Weyerhaeuser (WY), which Cramer highlighted on yesterday's show, that are benefiting from the coming housing shortage and the fact the company is converting itself into a Real Estate Investment Trust, or REIT, later this year. For defensive names, Cramer threw out General Mills (GIS) and McDonald's (MCD) as two good names. He also noted domestic natural gas plays like Atlas Energy (ATLS) or National Fuel Gas (NFG). Cramer also gave the nod to other recent mentions, like Steve Madden (SHOO) and Apple (AAPL), another Action Alerts Plus stock, along with Netflix (NFLX) and Chipotle Mexican Grill (CMG). "Forget the drama," Cramer told viewers, "buy stocks with great long term growth stories."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV