Silver prices were down 26 cents to $17.57 while copper prices were losing 1 cent to $3.016. Silver and copper were also suffering from fears of decreased demand from China. China raised the amount of money banks need to keep in their reserves by 50 basis points which takes currency out of circulation. With banks lending less, China's construction spending could slow and crimp demand for silver and copper.
Mining stocks, sometimes a more profitable way to invest in gold, were recovering along with broader equities. Barrick Gold (ABX) was up 0.49% to $43.13 while Newmont Mining (NEM) was down 0.15% to $54.22. Other large-cap miners Goldcorp (GG) and Kinross Gold (KGC) were down to $42.82 and $17.82, respectively. TD Newcrest downgraded Kinross to hold from buy after the company said it made 14 cents a share in the first quarter, which was below expectations.
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV