Greece Strike, Google Editions: Hot Trends
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A new volcanic ash cloud suspended air traffic in Ireland and Scotland and could threaten air space in England, sending Internet users again -- as they did last week, and the week before -- searching with the phrase "ash cloud."
The new eruption comes two weeks after the ash from the Iceland volcano paralyzed air traffic across Europe, causing significant losses for airline carriers.
Google (GOOG) announced on Tuesday that it will begin selling electronic books through Google Edition. The site would allow publishers to sell digital copies of in-print books straight to consumers. Why Social Software Pilot Projects Fail (Forbes) This move pits Google against Amazon (AMZN) in the e-book market. Amazon has been receiving criticism from publishers when it comes to its pricing strategy.
A strike in Greece turned violent this morning, as protests turn into riots, with protesters attempting to storm parliament. The protesters are angered over spending cuts being made by the government in an effort to stave off bankruptcy. On Tuesday, global markets were in a tizzy, with major U.S. indices posting their biggest losses in months. The major worry is that a $144 billion aid package won't be enough to mitigate Greece's growing debt crisis and that it will spread to other European nations.
Prudential Financial (PRU) is a popular search after the company said it delayed a planned $21 billion share issue that would be used to fund the acquisition of Asia-based AIA Group.
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on Google, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV