TOR Minerals said late Tuesday that it swung to a first-quarter profit of 26 cents a share, compared with a year-ago loss of 15 cents a share. Revenue was up 20% from a year ago to $6.86 million. If trends continue, TOR Minerals said it expects to see continued improvement in financial results during 2010.
Shares of TOR Minerals were rallying by $2.15, or 36.8%, to $8 in the premarket session. The 50-day average daily volume for TOR Minerals is 14,000, according to the Nasdaq.
Spire (SPIR) was also set to trade higher, rising more than 11% to $3.90 in Tuesday's after-hours session after the solar equipment company said that it has been awarded a U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) contract. This contract allows the Federal Government customers to complete contracts with Spire quickly and easily.The 50-day average daily volume for Spire is 86,000. CombiMatrix (CBMX) jumped by 32 cents, or 8.6%, to $4.05 in Tuesday's late session after the biotechnology company said it had first-quarter net income of $15.3 million, compared with a year-ago net loss of $6.1 million. Revenue rose to $1.3 million from $1.2 million in the year-ago quarter. The 50-day average daily volume for CombiMatrix is 27,000. On the downside, United Western Bancorp (UWBK) slid by 25 cents, or 15%, to $1.42 during Tuesday's after-market session after the company said it had a first-quarter loss from continuing operations of 86 cents a share, compared with year-ago income from continuing operations of 48 cents a share. The 50-day average daily volume for United Western Bancorp is 660,000. -- Written by Robert Holmes in Boston. Check out all of Wednesday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store. View the Dollar Store portfolio on StockPickr. Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV