Credit Suisse analysts, on the other hand, have come down hard on Ford. After Ford reported quarterly earnings last week, the analysts said they were downgrading the auto maker to underperform from neutral on the grounds that the company's current level of profitability is unsustainable.
Concerns cited included "rising structural costs to support global expansion; rising raw material costs; rising incentive costs in the U.S. and Europe; and declining profitability in the finance company." The Credit Suisse analysts said that while these headwinds may not yet be visible, they will become so in due time.
Both Credit Suisse and Edmunds analyst Michelle Krebs could not be more in disagreement on Ford stock, as Krebs remains captivated with Fords' new product pipeline. For Krebs, this, and her positive assessment of Ford's ability to manage debt and inventory, among other factors, leads her to believe that the company's headwinds are not insurmountable.
Marketing Research's Art Spinella added that Ford has been deft at reaching out to the youth market and transforming itself into fun and modern brand. He describes Ford marketing strategies as "masterful."Clearly, there are many views on where Ford's stock is headed -- and not much in the way of agreement; in light of this, we ask you: What is your outlook for Ford stock? Take our poll below to see what the rest of TheStreet has to say. And don't hesitate to leave a comment below, too.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV