Methanex Corporation Q1 2010 Earnings Call Transcript
I'll comment more on industry and pricing outlook a little later in the call. But first, I'd like to provide you an update on our operations. Our plant in New Zealand, the Motunui plant, continued to operate well and produced 208,000 tons of methanol. I'll comment more on the outlook for these operations and natural gas in that country in just a few moments.
In Trinidad, we produced 455,000 tons of methanol, which is a little below capacity for those plants as some cyclical issues led to a short period of unplanned downtime at our Trinidad site during the first quarter. These issues were resolved in late March. And the site has been operating well since that time. However, we are planning a short outage at (inaudible) plant next week to conduct another minor repair.
In Chile, we operated the site at about one-third capacity, and produced 304,000 tons of methanol. This represented our base quarter production in Chile in two years as we benefited from increased gas supply from the successful new gas development initiatives that are taking place in southern Chile. And again, I'll comment more on the outlook for natural gas and our plants in Chile in just a few moments.
I'll switch topic now and address the industry and pricing outlook. As I mentioned in our last conference call, methanol demand has recovered significantly over the past year. And current annualized demand has now surpassed pre-recession levels. We are continuing to see improved demand in both chemical and energy derivatives in all regions. And current indications are that demand will improve further over the coming quarters. The strong energy price environment continues to underpin healthy demand for methanol in both fuel-blending and DME in China. Demand growth into these derivatives has been very strong in recent years. And the outlook for both – the outlook for further growth is excellent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV