But despite posting quarterly earnings of $190 million for the March period, an increase of nearly 70% from its year-ago total, shares of the Des Moines, Iowa-based provider of insurance products and retirement savings plans for corporations were pulling back on Tuesday amid the weakness in the broad market.
One area of concern for Principal Financial was weakness in the company's health division, where earnings dropped 15% year-over-year because of a decline in the number of group medical-covered members. TheStreet recently spoke to CEO Larry Zimpleman about how he thinks the new health care legislation will affect the company and other issues.
TheStreet: Larry, what trends are you seeing right now in finance? What seems to be doing better and what's still struggling?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV