Stocks appeared to shrug off some better than expected economic figures in the morning.
March factory orders grew 1.3%, according to a report from the U.S. Commerce Department. Economists had been expecting a decline of 0.2%.
Pending home sales surged by a higher-than-expected 5.3% in March, according to the National Association of Realtors Pending Home Sales Index, which extends the prior month's growth of 8.3%. Economists had been projecting an increase of 5%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV