United, Continental Pilots Want Better Contracts
"We understand how hard it is to put that genie back in the bottle, but we're going to try," Pierce said. "We see it as a better solution for all concerned when legacy carriers do their own flying, not just to protect jobs, but also to ensure safety." Airlines argue that broader use of small planes allows them to feed more passengers into their hubs, where mainline pilots fly longhaul flights.
Pierce acknowledged that the Continental culture is widely felt to be superior to United's because it "promotes customer service and pride." Even though Continental is smaller than United, its culture could predominate in a merger, he said. "I believe that when you have a strong, proud culture, that is going to permeate through the entire new entity, if it's done right and if labor is allowed to be part of the solution," said Pierce.
Both leaders noted that they must negotiate new contracts before they negotiate seniority integration between the two pilot groups.
-- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV