United, Continental Pilots Want Better Contracts
"We have been negotiating a new contract for three years," said Jay Pierce, chairman of the Continental chapter of the Air Line Pilots Association, in an interview. "We look at this as a vehicle to rectify that situation. "
United and Continental said Monday that they plan to merge to create the world's largest airline, which will be based in Chicago and see its largest hub in Houston.
Continental has offered its pilots a contract resembling the deal reached by Delta (DAL) pilots immediately following the 2008 merger with Northwest. "That's a good template, a good place to start," Pierce said, noting that Delta pilots received $700 million in salary increases and $500 million in equity.However, he said that for half of Continental's pilots, the Delta contract represents a pay cut. Widebody pilots would get a raise to Delta levels, but 737 pilots would take a pay cut. Wendy Morse, chairman of the United ALPA chapter, also called the Delta contract "a good place to start" during a conference call with reporters on Monday. It is not surprising that her view resembles Pierce's. The two have talked several times a day since merger talks between the carriers began around April 9th. Asked whether she is happy about the merger, Morse responded: "Time will tell whether we're happy or not. This is a wonderful opportunity
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV