New Cancer Vaccine the Next Dendreon?
BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Think all cancer vaccines are, or will be, successful? Think again.
Before there was Dendreon (DNDN) and its just-approved prostate cancer vaccine Provenge, there was Cell Genesys and Favrille, CancerVax and Genitope (GTOP.PK). All tried to develop cancer vaccines, all failed.
Dendreon's stock price is surging; those other four cancer vaccine companies -- not so much. Favrille and CancerVax are no longer with us. Genitope exists in pink sheet purgatory. Only Cell Genesys managed to survive, sort of, by selling itself to BioSante Pharmaceuticals (BPAX), a small drug company better known for trying to develop a female Viagra.
Dendreon is a great success story and proves that patience and perseverance can pay off in the fledgling field of cancer immunotherapy. But let's not also forget that Dendreon is a lonely winner surrounded by a crowd of cancer vaccine losers.In the next weeks and months, investors are going to be enticed by drug companies crawling out of the woodwork with claims that they're working on the next Provenge. That's an easy thing to say, much tougher to actually accomplish.
More on Biotech
|13 Biotech Stocks Presenting New Data
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV