Updated with statement from Harris Bank spokesperson, latest Bank of Montreal share price.
CHICAGO (TheStreet) -- The web site of Chicago-based Harris Bank was down for maintenance at midday on Monday, causing a spike in Internet search activity pertaining to the institution.
Visitors to the Harris Bank homepage are getting a message saying the main site is down for maintenance but that Harris Online Services are still available. Harris is a subsidiary of Bank of Montreal (BMO).
The outage may be especially disconcerting for former customers of Amcore Bank, which was recently acquired by Harris after it failed on April 24 along with six other banks in the Chicago area.A Bank of Montreal spokesperson was unable to comment immediately about the status of Harris Bank's online banking operations. A spokesperson from Harris Bank provided this statement: "Yes we are having some issues with the Harris Bank website, but there is no impact to the Amcore websites or to our Amcore customers." Bank of Montreal shares were up 1.2% to $62.75 in afternoon trades.
Ongoing Bank Failure CoverageAll previous bank and thrift failures since the beginning of 2008 are detailed in TheStreet.com's interactive bank failure map:
Free Financial Strength RatingsTheStreet.com Ratings issues independent and very conservative financial strength ratings on each of the nation's 8,500 banks and savings and loans. They are available at no charge on the Banks & Thrifts Screener. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter Fla.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV