GM April Sales Up 6.4%
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GM has announced that its April vehicle sales were up 6.4% year-over-year, with a 20% increase in combined retail sales for Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac.
Total sales for GM's four brands in the U.S. amounted to 183,091 in April.
GM said that the continued year-over-year sales increases are largely being driven by the company's launch products, which now represent one of every four GM vehicles sold at retail.
"Clearly, our launch vehicles are hitting the mark with consumers who are looking for bold styling, quality, safety and fuel efficiency," the company's vice president of U.S. sales operations Steve Carlisle said in a written statement, seizing the opportunity to engage in a spot of marketing. "But our results aren't limited to just our newest vehicles. Sales of our full-size pickups and our mid-sized crossovers continue to strengthen."On April 21, GM Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre announced that the company is years ahead of schedule repaying bailout loans received under the Troubled Asset Relief Program. The Treasury said that day that GM had paid the remaining $4.7 billion of the total $6.7 billion in debt owed to Treasury and that total TARP repayments now stand at $186 billion, well ahead of last fall's repayment projections for 2010. -- Reported by Andrea Tse in New York
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV