U.S. Airways story updated with quotes from United and Continental CEOs.
But that day will come, says CEO Doug Parker. And in the interim, it is important to ignore two prevalent misconceptions. One is that US Airways' labor situation blocks any deal. The other is that US Airways will struggle until it finds a merger partner.
On Monday, following the announcement of a merger between Continental (CAL) and United (UAUA), shares in US Airways and Alaska (ALK) were the biggest beneficiaries, trading on speculation that they could become acquisition candidates.Meanwhile, United CEO Glenn Tilton said United did not use US Airways as a stalking horse in order to engage Continental. "When Jeff (Smisek) called me on the ninth of April, which happened to be my birthday, we were very serious about the work we had underway at that time, very serious indeed," Tilton said in a conference call, referring to the US Airways/United merger talks. But "at the end of the day, industrial logic and the compelling proposition that we have presented to the marketplace today trumps
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV