Oil Spill, 'Steve Jobs Flash': Hot Trends
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The oil spill off the Gulf of Mexico continues to be a concern as the oil began hitting the shore of Louisiana this morning. This comes after oil rig Deepwater Horizon, which was owned by Transocean (RIG) and operated by BP (BP), exploded last week, leaving 11 workers still missing.
It is estimated that the rig is expelling oil at a rate of 5,000 barrels a day, far more than prior estimate of 1,000 barrels a day. So significant is the spill, the search term "Exxon Valdez" has even spiked onto the top of the most-searched list today, too -- a sign that online users are sensing the potential magnitude of the disaster.
Since the explosion, shares of BP have tumbled 13% while Transocean is down nearly 15%.
Oil Spill in Pictures: Gulf of Mexico Impact
"Steve Jobs Flash" is a hot search after the CEO of Apple (AAPL) attacked Adobe's (ADBE) Flash video software. Jobs said it has "major technical drawbacks" and will not use it in Apple's devices.
The Street's Take
|Steve Jobs Slams Adobe's Flash
The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on Google, and highlights the news that could make stocks move. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV