Universal Truckload Services' 1Q Profit Soars
WARREN, Mich. (AP) â¿¿ Freight carrier Universal Truckload Services Inc. said Thursday that improvement in industrial sectors, especially the metals market, helped its first-quarter profit rise 14-fold from the same period a year earlier.
The earnings of $2.1 million for the quarter that ended April 3 were equivalent to 13 cents per share, compared with a profit of $139,000, or 1 cent per share, a year earlier.
Included in net income for the latest quarter was $1.1 million, or 7 cents per share, of after-tax gains on the sales of marketable securities classified as available for sale.
Revenue in the quarter rose nearly 21 percent to $139.0 million from $115.0 million a year earlier.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, who generally exclude one-time items from their estimates, were expecting a first-quarter profit of 11 cents per share on revenue of $136.8 million. On the minus side, the company said seasonal shipping patterns and bad weather caused some breaks in momentum during the quarter. Company shares rose 25 cents, or 1.3 percent, to close at $19.19 in Thursday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV