Universal Truckload Services' 1Q Profit Soars
WARREN, Mich. (AP) â¿¿ Freight carrier Universal Truckload Services Inc. said Thursday that improvement in industrial sectors, especially the metals market, helped its first-quarter profit rise 14-fold from the same period a year earlier.
The earnings of $2.1 million for the quarter that ended April 3 were equivalent to 13 cents per share, compared with a profit of $139,000, or 1 cent per share, a year earlier.
Included in net income for the latest quarter was $1.1 million, or 7 cents per share, of after-tax gains on the sales of marketable securities classified as available for sale.
Revenue in the quarter rose nearly 21 percent to $139.0 million from $115.0 million a year earlier.Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, who generally exclude one-time items from their estimates, were expecting a first-quarter profit of 11 cents per share on revenue of $136.8 million. On the minus side, the company said seasonal shipping patterns and bad weather caused some breaks in momentum during the quarter. Company shares rose 25 cents, or 1.3 percent, to close at $19.19 in Thursday trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV