Although most retailers are outperforming Wall Street's expectations, the sector is highly dependent on consumer confidence and consumer spending. A recent study conducted by the Reuters/University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index for April illustrated that retail spending is weak and will likely remain weak. The study suggests that personal financial conditions for consumers are deteriorating rather than improving at a ratio of 2-to-1, a trend that will likely put a damper on the retail sector.
Other potential threats that face the sector are unstable labor and credit markets. As long as these potential threats are present, a sustainable uptrend in the retail sector remains questionable.
A good way to protect against these threats is through the implementation of an exit strategy which identifies price points at which an upward trend could come to an end.
According to the latest data at SmartStops, these price points are: RTH at $102.66, XLY at $34.43, PMR at $18.85.Written by Kevin Grewal in Laguna Niguel, Calif. At the time of publication, Grewal had no positions in the securities mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV