I'm sure H-P won't make the same kind of marketing mistake. Before Roger McNamee and Elevation Partners took control of Palm, the company had a terrific marketing/press guru, who now just happens to work for H-P. I'm sure he still remembers where all the "dead bodies" are stashed. H-P would be nuts not to get some quick advice from its expert.
A new cellular handset might be a nice early step for the new H-P/Palm to make, maybe something with a larger screen (not as large as a tablet) with a terrific layout like the current Pixi. And it needs to make it a world phone so that buyers around the world have a chance to experience the terrific operating system.
As for more WebOS apps, if you build it they will come. When H-P starts to build new hardware there should be enough interest generated with the application-devising gurus to give the Palm store a large kick-start.
There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of Palm patents too. I'm sure that entered into the equation as well.All in all, this is a great move for H-P and a win-win for consumers, more of whom need to experience a WebOS device. This also is great for Palm engineers who'll get another chance at bringing Palm products back to life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV