I'm sure H-P won't make the same kind of marketing mistake. Before Roger McNamee and Elevation Partners took control of Palm, the company had a terrific marketing/press guru, who now just happens to work for H-P. I'm sure he still remembers where all the "dead bodies" are stashed. H-P would be nuts not to get some quick advice from its expert.
A new cellular handset might be a nice early step for the new H-P/Palm to make, maybe something with a larger screen (not as large as a tablet) with a terrific layout like the current Pixi. And it needs to make it a world phone so that buyers around the world have a chance to experience the terrific operating system.
As for more WebOS apps, if you build it they will come. When H-P starts to build new hardware there should be enough interest generated with the application-devising gurus to give the Palm store a large kick-start.
There are dozens (maybe hundreds) of Palm patents too. I'm sure that entered into the equation as well.All in all, this is a great move for H-P and a win-win for consumers, more of whom need to experience a WebOS device. This also is great for Palm engineers who'll get another chance at bringing Palm products back to life.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV