NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Before Jim Cramer's Stop Trading! segment on CNBC Wednesday, the Fed announced that it would keep the fed funds rate at the exceptionally low range of 0 to 1/4 percent.
The decision sat well with Cramer.
"Unemployment is still weak in this country, so there's no reason to raise rates," he explained. "Let's get some hiring going and then you can raise rates."
Shifting gears, Cramer noted that on Wednesday, Ford (F) was downgraded to underperform by CreditSuisse, despite posting a solid first quarter.Cramer, who likes Ford stock, was unfazed. He thinks any downgrade for Ford is just a short-term situation for the automaker. The company is a "multi-year name" for Cramer. He says that in due time, and with upgrades from rating agencies like Moody's and S&P, Ford will be providing its investors with "bountiful" dividends, with a "beautiful" balance sheet to boot. "Yes, it can happen again," Cramer affirmed. On Wednesday, he also recommended telecom plays, including Sprint (S). The company has announced expectations of fewer subscriber losses and an as-expected first-quarter loss. Cramer said if Sprint can stop hemorrhaging, there's no reason the stock has to hover around $4 and can't take off. He reminds us that we can't expect Sprint to just turn these "battleships" around at short notice, given that they were losing "scads" of customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV