TORONTO (TheStreet) -- Generex Biotechnology (GNBT) CEO Anna Gluskin may have run afoul of U.S. regulations governing experimental drugs when she spoke to investors earlier this year about the prospects for the company's Oral-lyn insulin spray.
Gluskin said at a January conference that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration had essentially granted a "mini-approval" for Oral-lyn and that Generex was moving ahead with plans to commercialize and market the diabetes treatment to doctors and a wide swath of diabetes patients in the U.S.
The FDA does not have a "mini-approval" process, and Generex has not filed an application seeking full marketing approval for Oral-lyn as a treatment for diabetes, according to FDA spokeswoman Karen Riley. Generex is still only about halfway through a single phase III study of Oral-lyn, according to the company's latest corporate update.
In September 2009, FDA permitted Generex to make the still-experimental Oral-lyn available to certain diabetes patients under the regulatory agency's expanded access program, known formally as a "Treatment IND" protocol. The FDA program grants access to experimental, unapproved drugs for patients with serious or life-threatening diseases who lack other treatment options.The standards by which the FDA reviews an experimental drug for the expanded access program are different and less thorough than if FDA were reviewing the drug for final marketing approval, according to FDA regulations confirmed by Riley. FDA rules do permit companies to recoup costs associated with granting expanded access to unapproved drugs, but companies like Generex are prohibited from marketing or generating any profits while operating under Treatment IND approvals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV