NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There are lots of myths out there about Wall Street folk, so we're setting the record straight. After all, if you're going to hate the hot shots at Goldman Sachs (GS), you should at least get your facts straight.
Myth 1: Wall Street Preys on the Innocent
The debt difficulties of Greece provide a recent example of how this perception isn't quite right. Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) have gotten lots of bad press for working with the Greek government to help it mask its debts, and now the Greek economy is in deep trouble.
But these debt-masking efforts by Greek politicians were fairly minor in the grand scheme of things. Greece's debt levels were too high even if you erase the debts they hid with the help of Wall Street financial wizardry. There is also the fact that Greek politicians hired Goldman to help it mask its debts. If they were innocent, they wouldn't have done that.Similarly, the loose lending standards that enabled people to buy homes they couldn't afford during the housing boom were not the sole fault of the bankers. For a story called "The Giant Pool of Money," which aired in May 2008, the public radio program "This American Life" found a guy named Clarence Nathan who took out a loan called a NINA, which stands for No Income, No Asset. This enabled Nathan, who earned $45,000 annually, to borrow $540,000 against his house. "I wouldn't have loaned me the money," Nathan told his interviewer, Alex Blumberg. Nathan may have been honest, but he was far from innocent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV