The fact that First Solar has only provided a total pipeline number in the past, and a revenue expectation from the large-scale solar business, doesn't allow analysts and investors to completely understand the financial model for the larger projects over the course of the next few years.
"With the German business falling off, a lot of solar modules need to be re-routed to the U.S. and the systems business. But as uncertainty about the feed-in tariff changes in Germany ends, uncertainty about the project development business comes into focus. It's still a source of confusion," the Deutsche Bank analyst said.
Deutsche Bank is at a hold on First Solar shares, arguing that there is little reason to expect a major catalyst for an upward move in the stock on the first quarter earnings.
Collins Stewart analyst Dan Ries also evinced the uncertainty over the First Solar systems business headed into the earnings report on Wednesday in a research note. The Collins Stewart analyst wrote, "Forecasting FSLR's quarterly performance will be more difficult than usual in the next few quarters as the company's project business ramps and causes revenue recognition delays and the company to hold modules in inventory instead of selling them to third-party customers.... FSLR has power purchase agreements for 1,400 MW of projects it is developing. However, it currently has only 192 MW of these systems sold, or roughly 50% of the 370 MW of projects we expect it to build in CY10."First Solar announced on Wednesday morning that it is acquiring 1.1 gigawatts in a southwestern U.S. project pipeline from NextLight Renewable Power for $285 million in cash, adding to the focus on the systems business. The deal may also have
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV