Hess revenue rose by 34% to $9.2 billion, well ahead of the Street consensus revenue number of $8.1 billion. Hess earnings per share of $1.65 per share also far exceeded the Street consensus of $1.09 earnings per share.
Hess shares were up by close to 3% in pre-market trading on Wednesday morning, joining Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A) as the energy early plays on positive earnings on Wednesday.
Royal Dutch Shell reported a profit surge and revenue jump, of 47%, sending its shares up close to 3% in early trading on Wednesday also.The Hess results were well ahead of the first quarter 2009 comparison, when revenue was at $6.9 billion, and the oil and gas company lost $59 million, or 18 cents per share. -- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV