Gold for June delivery was surging $6.80 to $1,160.80 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price Tuesday has traded as high as $1,165.30 and as low as $1,146.60. The U.S. dollar index was adding 0.61% to $81.71 while the euro was sinking 0.55% against the dollar. The spot gold price today was popping over $8, according to Kitco's gold index.
The gold price Tuesday was reversing earlier losses and was retaking the $1,160-an-ounce area. Standard & Poor's slashed Greece's sovereign credit rating to junk and lowered Portugal's long term credit rating from A+ to A negative. Investors were turning to the safety of the hard asset and were giving gold prices a boost.
Gold had been under pressure as today's options expiration triggered minor technical selling. Investors are still cautious ahead of Lloyd Blankfein's testimony to Congress over Goldman Sachs' behavior during the subprime mortgage crisis and the start of the Federal Reserve's two-day FOMC meeting.The Fed is expected to keep key interest rates at zero or 0.25%, but any wording that the Fed is worried about inflation could pressure gold prices even further. Any end to the flow of free money will support a stronger dollar and make gold more expensive to buy in other currencies. For now, fear and bargain hunting are buoying prices and pushing gold up to $1,175 an ounce. The gold ETF, SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), added more than 6 tons on Monday to a record 1,146.22 tons. The physically backed ETF is a popular way to invest in gold as a trader can own gold without the hassle. Shares were up 0.74% to $113.59. "For the moment we expect gold to maintain its current sideways to higher trend," says James Moore, analyst at thebulliondesk.com in his daily metal report. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV