NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Stocks decayed throughout Tuesday's session and the Dow closed below the 11,000 mark, as investors sold off on fears of a contagion spreading throughout Europe after
The Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 213 points, or 1.9%, to 10,992. The S&P 500 slid 28 points, or 2.3%, to 1184, and the Nasdaq shed 51 points, or 2%, at 2471.
U.S. stocks tumbled deep into negative territory, spurring a flight to safe assets as Standard & Poor's downgraded Greece's debt to junk status and lowered Portugal's credit rating by two notches to A- from A+."Everyone has a fear it'll trigger some kind of reaction, like it's the subprime mortgage crisis of Europe. There's the Goldman (GS) overhang as well and the two are combining
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV