Apple has not yet responded to TheStreet's request for comment on this article, although the company's Web site touts the iPad's many "layers of security."
"You can require complex passcodes to access important information securely, encrypt data over the air and at rest, and even remotely wipe everything from your iPad instantly in the event of theft or loss," it said.
Apple, for example, extended its MobileMe software to the iPad earlier this month, which lets users remotely lock, wipe and locate the devices. In a clear nod to corporate security, Apple also supports Cisco (CSCO) virtual private network (VPN) technology on the iPad.
"IT departments can enforce complex passcodes and other policies on iPad to protect corporate data," explains the Apple Web site. "And certificate-based authentication enables iPad to securely connect with corporate data via Exchange and VPN."However, Jack Gold of analyst firm J.Gold Associates, says that the iPad still has some way to go before it is a bona fide business tool. "It might be ok for thin client applications where no data gets transferred to the device and accesses the device via a VPN," he wrote, in an email. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV