NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Crude oil prices slumped to $84 a barrel Monday as a stronger greenback made dollar-priced commodities less attractive to foreign buyers.
Although the June delivery contract for crude traded as high as $85.63 on Monday, it finished only a little higher than its lowest point of the session: $84.06. The contract lost 92 cents, or 1.1%, to settle at $84.20 a barrel -- a disappointing turn after its performance on Friday, when it added $1.42 to settle at $85.12 a barrel on surging new-home sales and strong durable goods orders.
A strong U.S. dollar, which was trading 0.3% higher against a basket of foreign currencies for most of the session, was putting some downward pressure on crude. The dollar index was last up by 0.1%. The
Stocks failed to establish a clear direction Monday. The Dow spent the session in positive territory, supported by strong earnings results from
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV