NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Don Dion posts his current insights on the stock, bond, commodity and currency markets in his RealMoney blog, anticipating which ETFs will be in play next.
In the following three blogs from the past week, Don commented on how steady oil prices and a stronger economy make Russia ETF a good bet; China's move to raise the minimum downpayment required on property in a bid to slow the housing market; and the performance of a regional bank ETF.
Russia ETF Has Room to Run
Posted 4/23/2010 10:39 AM EDTSteadily rising oil prices and a strengthening economy make the Market Vectors Russia ETF (RSX) an attractive buy. Year to date, the energy-heavy RSX has gained more than 11%, but I believe there's still room to grow in the short term. > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll Demand for Russian bonds has far outstripped supply, as the country re-enters the international bond market for the first time since 1998, when Russia suffered a financial collapse. That was likely last time many investors took stock of Russia's bond-market potential. State debt, at only 8% of GDP, now make these bonds a much more stable bet, and I believe the strengthening bond market signals overall economic health. RSX is based on an index designed by Market Vectors, and it offers exposure to a basket of Russian ordinaries -- equities traded on local exchanges. Rather than trying to pick a foreign exchange to gain exposure to Russia's overall economy, RSX offers a simple alternative. I recently added RSX to the ETF Action Portfolio, and I believe the summer-driving season -- combined with a relatively strong economy -- will help keep this fund running up.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV