Smaller Regional Banks:
With the regulatory crack-down targeting "too big to fail" banks, it's not hard to guess which other firms will benefit: Small, sturdy regionals.
Already, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. has structured dozens of assisted deals for smaller banks across the country that have healthy balance sheets and room to grow. The FDIC has about $40 billion in assets up for grabs from failed banks. The agency has seized 225 institutions since the start of the crisis, 50 this year alone. Hundreds more are predicted to go under before it ends.Most sales occur at the time of failure, with the FDIC structuring loss-share agreements on books of bad loans in order to quickly sell deposits and other assets to stable, willing buyers. The situation has presented attractive deals for banks like First Niagara (FNFG), Hudson City (HCBK) (whose CEO Ron Hermance is pictured above), Valley National (VLY) and others -- the type of small, conservative S&Ls that FDIC Chairwoman Sheila Bair has voiced strong support for. As those deals transpire, big banks are facing regulatory and economic pressures to whittle down. If the Obama administration's Volcker rule proposal succeeds, it will force large, diverse firms like Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan, Citigroup (C) and Wells Fargo (WFC) to chop off either their investment banking or traditional banking divisions. Otherwise, they may be required to pay into a resolution fund that would handle too-big-to-fail firms in case they...well...fail.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV