Applied Industrial Tech's 3Q Profit Jumps 43 Pct
CLEVELAND (AP) â¿¿ Industrial parts distributor Applied Industrial Technologies Inc. said Thursday its fiscal third-quarter profit rose a better-than-expected 43 percent, and raised its expectations for the year.
The company said that while year-ago comparisons were relatively easy to improve upon, it was encouraged to see "broad-scale activity" in the industries it serves. Applied Industrial sells its bearings, power transmission products, tools and other items to customers in industries including agriculture and food processing, automotive, mining and utilities, as well as to government agencies.
"As we talk with our customers and our suppliers, we are cautiously optimistic for moderate economic recovery through the remainder of our fiscal year," Chairman and CEO David L. Pugh said in a statement.
Shares of Applied Industrial Technologies rose 93 cents, or 3.5 percent, to $27.80 â¿¿ their highest point since the fall of 2008.The company said it earned $16.5 million, or 39 cents per share, in the three months ended March 31. That compares with $11.6 million, or 27 cents per share, a year earlier. Revenue rose 8 percent to $486.1 million from $451.6 million. The results easily topped the average estimates of analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, who had forecast profit of 30 cents per share and revenue of $462.1 million. Looking forward, Applied Industrial raised its fiscal 2010 profit outlook to $1.18 to $1.33 per share on $1.85 billion to $1.9 billion in revenue. Previously, it predicted earnings per share of 95 cents to $1.25 per share on revenue of $1.75 billion to $1.85 billion. On average, analysts are looking for net income of $1.15 per share and $1.82 billion in revenue.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV