19 Retail Takeovers: Rumors Run Rampant
After Macy's (M) reported better-than-expected third-quarter earnings, grumblings and murmurs that the department store could be taken private have begun to circulate among investors and analysts.
NASDAQ analyst Jay Heller told TheStreet that KKR and Carlyle Group could be interested, especially in Macy's international prospects.
Macy's has seen a tremendous turnaround over the past several months, and in the third-quarter it swung to an adjusted profit of 8 cents a share, handily topping estimates of 3 cents.
Last week, Macy's upped its outlook for the second half of the year, and now expects earnings of between $1.50 and $1.55 a share, from a prior outlook of $1.45 to $1.50 a share. For the year, Macy's is calling for a profit of between $1.94 and $1.99 a share, compared with a previous outlook of $1.89 to $1.94 a share.
Heller predicts Macy's could receive an offer of $34 a share, which would be a premium over its close on Tuesday of $25.22.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV