19 Retail Takeovers: Rumors Run Rampant
Barnes & Noble
Ackman's Pershing Square Capital Management said it would fund an offer of $16 per share for Barnes & Noble, valuing the deal at about $963.2 million.
The bid would represent a 20.5% premium over Barnes & Noble's closing price on Friday of $13.38.Ackman owns 37% of Borders shares. Barnes & Noble put itself up for sale this summer, saying it is considering strategic alternatives for the company. Since the announcement, speculation over potential bidders has run rampant, with the spotlight flashing on private-equity players like Apollo Management. Fears have also grown in certain quarters that Barnes & Noble may not be able to find a buyer, raising a red flag for the entire book industry. Barnes & Noble's chairman and largest shareholder, Leonard Riggio previously said that he would consider teaming with a group of investors to make a bid on the company that he took public in 1993. "I fully support the Board's decision to evaluate strategic alternatives at this time," Riggio said in a statement this summer. "Regardless of whether I participate in an investment group that buys the company, I, as well as the entire senior management team, am willing and eager to remain with the company and see it through the challenging years ahead." Ron Burkle, who waged a proxy battle against Barnes & Noble, was also believed to be eyeing the No.1 book seller.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV