19 Retail Takeovers: Rumors Run Rampant
Office Depot (ODP) is surging nearly 10% after a filing with the SEC signaled a takeover may be on the horizon.
The office supply retailer entered into a new change-in-control agreement with CFO Michael Newman; President of International Charles Brown; and Steven Schmidt, president, North American business solutions; in order to "diminish the potential distraction due to personal uncertainties and risks that inevitably arise when a change of control is threatened or pending."
As part of the agreement, the three executives are guaranteed employment for a year after a change of control, paying them 12 times their highest monthly salary, plus a bonus equal to the highest received in the prior three years. If they decide to leave, they will get their accrued salary and bonus, plus two times their base salary.This follows another filing last month that outlined the chief financial officer's retention agreement, which provided for the immediate vesting of his two-year retention payout if his employment was terminated for a reason other than cause. In October, former CEO Steve Odland resigned a week after settling regulatory charges with the SEC that alleged Office Depot selectively warned analysts about disappointing profits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV