19 Retail Takeovers: Rumors Run Rampant
(Retail takeover article updated from Dec. 16)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Did you miss the boat on the Gymboree (GYMB), J.Crew (JCG) and now Jo-Ann Stores buyout? If so, there are still plenty of potential retail takeovers making headlines for investors to take advantage.
Jo-Ann Stores announced on Thursday that it is being acquired by private-equity firm Leonard Green in a deal valued at $1.6 billion, or $61 a share. This is a 34% premium over its closing price on Dec. 22.
This is the second retail acquisition by Leonard Green over the past two months, and the third major deal within the sector in the past three months.Leonard Green, along with TPG, bought J.Crew in November for $2.86 billion, or $43.59 a share, a 16% premium from the stock's closing price on Nov. 22. As part of the deal, Millard Drexler will continue as chairman and chief executive officer and maintain a significant equity investment in J Crew. This followed the acquisition of Gymboree by private equity group Bain Capital for $1.8 billion, or $65.40 a share. The deal represents a 57.4% premium over Gymboree's share price at the close on Sept. 30, and a 23.5% premium over the close on Oct. 8. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV