By Eric Dutram of ETF Database
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Alternative energy remains a fast growing market segment not only in the world of ETFs, but in terms of total investment as well. Since 2005, investment in clean energy increased by 230% to $162 billion in 2009. Echoing similar trends occurring throughout the global economy, emerging markets have stepped up their push to become leaders in the development of alternative energy technologies. Last year alone, China invested $34.6 billion in clean energy, while the U.S. added $18.6 billion.
In addition, the World Bank recently released a report saying that the six major East Asian economies will together need roughly $80 billion in investment per year in order to stabilize their greenhouse gas emissions by 2025. Despite these large numbers, clean energy only produces 6% of the world's power suggesting that there is still plenty of room to run for this up-and-coming industry. While there are a multitude of clean energy ETFs currently on the market, they can really be broken down into four general types; wind, solar, broad clean energy, and nuclear.
In the following pages, we profile the ETFs that fall into each of these categories, as well as the some of the miscellaneous clean energy funds:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV