The U.S. Oil Fund (USO) ETF finished mildly higher, up by 0.07%.
Among related equities, the NYSE Arca Oil index was slipped 0.5%, while the Philadelphia Oil Service Sector index rose 1.6%.
Chevron (CVX) and Exxon Mobil (XOM) were among the handful of stocks putting the most pressure on the Dow Jones Industrial Average, which turned positive in the last half-hour of trading. Chevron fell 0.9% while Exxon lost 0.5%.
Earlier, Diamond Offshore Drilling (DO) said earnings backtracked from year-ago levels, but it neverthless managed to surpass forecasts. Still, the offshore contractor cut its special dividend, tying it to an expected "decline in renewal contract dayrates from peak levels," according to the release, which sent shares tumbling to finish 5.4% lower.ENSCO (ESV) shares gained 4.1% on the day after the driller announced upbeat first-quarter earnings and an increased dividend. Oilfield services company Schlumberger (SLB) is scheduled to report first-quarter earnings Friday morning. Analysts are anticipating a profit of 61 cents a share. Its stock added 0.2% ahead of the report. Also on the Nymex, June heating oil added a penny, or 0.5%, to settle at $2.24 a gallon. The June gasoline contract also finished a penny higher, or up by 0.6%, to settle at $2.31 a gallon. -- Written by Sung Moss and Melinda Peer in New York.
More on Natural Gas
|UNG Is Due for a Comeback|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV