(Google trends article updated with Qwest merger with CenturyTel, PNC Financial, "mass save" and US Airways news.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The chatter on Main Street (a.k.a. Google) is always of interest to investors on Wall Street. Thus, each day, TheStreet compiles the stories that are trending on Google, and highlights the news that could make stocks move
Qwest Communications (Q) is a hot search term this afternoon on Google, after CenturyTel (CTL) announced plans to buy the company in a stock swap valued at $10.6 billion. The deal must be reviewed and approved by regulators.
US Airways (LCC) is a popular search term after the airline carrier said it halted merger talks with United Airlines (UAUA). US Airways said it is waiting to see if United and Continental Airlines (CAL) reach a deal of their own.
PNC Financial (PNC) posted a 28% drop in its first-quarter profit as it paid back government loans, launching it as one of the hot topics on Google today. The company reported a profit of $333 million, or 66 cents per share, but would have earned $1.31 a share excluding its repayment of its loan under the Troubled Asset Relief Program.
"Mass save" is a "volcanic" search term, as Massachusetts residents are eligible for savings on energy-efficient appliances in honor of Earth Day. To get the rebate residents must go to www.masssave.com/residential.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV