NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Netflix (NFLX) reached a new high on Thursday, a day after it said it added 1.7 million subscribers in its first-quarter, its biggest gain in new users in its 11-year history.
The DVD-by-mail retailer had a stand-out first quarter, earning $32.3 million, or 59 cents a share, a 44% surge over $22.4 million, or 37 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts were calling for earnings of 54 cents a share.
Revenue jumped 25% to $493.7 million from $444.5 million.
Netflix ended the quarter with nearly 14 million subscribers. The company predicted it would add between 1.2 million and 1.5 million subscribers during the quarter.Another positive for Netflix: Hulu, the television streaming site, will reportedly begin charging its users for some of its content. Despite the solid quarter, Netflix forecast second-quarter earnings that could fall short of Wall Street's forecast. The company expected profit to fall in the range of 62 cents to 73 cents a share and revenue between $517 million and $525 million. Analysts predict earnings of 68 cents on revenue of $516.2 million. There is also one word of caution: Netflix will eventually run out of households it can sign up when the installed base reaches 29 million, Needham analyst Charles Wolf wrote in a note. Shares of Netflix are surging 14.5% to $99.58 in Thursday morning trading. The stock reached a 52-week-high earlier of $99.78. -- Reported by Jeanine Poggi in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV