Acura Pharma: FDA Panel Live Blog
Acura Pharmaceuticals (ACUR) brings its abuse-resistant painkiller Acurox in front of an advisory committee of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration today.
Acurox is a short-acting drug that consists of the powerful painkiller oxycodone combined with niacin and other ingredients that Acura says deters common methods of prescription drug tampering and abuse. King Pharmaceuticals (KG) is Acura's marketing partner.
FDA convened today's panel to get outside input on Acurox because the agency has concerns about the use of niacin to deter abuse. In briefing documents released Tuesday, FDA reviewers concluded that, "niacin offers little in the way of deterrence to oral abuse," in part because the aversive effects of niacin can be defeated if a person eats a high-fat meal or takes aspirin.
The advisory panel will also be asked to consider whether the side effects of niacin -- mainly flushing, headaches and chills -- are a risk for patients who take Acurox according to their doctor's instructions.Acura believes that opioid abuse is a major public health problem and for that reason, Acurox was designed to relieve moderate-to-severe pain and minimize the potential for opioid abuse by the three most common methods: oral (when taken at doses higher than recommended); intranasal (nasally snorting crushed tablets); and intravenous (IV injection of dissolved tablets). For those interested, briefing documents for today's Acura FDA meeting, including the FDA's review and Acura's presentation, can be found on the FDA's web site. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow Adam Feuerstein on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV