The scorching-hot iPhone accounted for all of Ma Bell's wireless postpaid subscriber growth in the first quarter. And wireless growth carried an otherwise limping AT&T.
The iPhone not only helped boost wireless data revenue by nearly $1 billion in the quarter, it salvaged what would have been a dismal subscriber performance among non-iPhone customers.
AT&T activated 2.7 million iPhones in the first quarter with about a third of those customers switching from another carrier to AT&T to get the phone. However, the company added a mere 512,000 postpaid or contract customers, below analysts' estimates. This was the second quarter in a row where non-iPhone users have marked a decline.Is it time for Ma Bell to panic about a future without Apple iPhone exclusivity -- and with the prospects of a Verizon iPhone? Not just yet. Consider these two developments:
|Stockpickr Answers Is AT&T ever going to break above $30 again?|
Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV